Submitted by Audrey Dutton on Thu, 06/21/2012 - 3:25pm
It's a busy weekend for the mall:
- Teavana, a tea emporium, will have a grand opening Friday. Teavana sells fine, loose-leaf tea, has a tea bar and stocks more than 100 kinds of tea and tea-related merchandise. Show up Friday for discounts on high-volume purchases and free samples of 10 kinds of tea, including blends of Youthberry White Tea & Wild Orange Herbal Tea and Samurai Mate Chai & White Ayurvedic Chai.
- Ulta Beauty opens a new salon at Boise Towne Plaza (across from the mall, next to Nordstrom Rack) on Friday. The store carries beauty tools, cosmetics, skin- and hair-care products and perfumes. The store's grand opening celebration will be June 29.
- Coldwater Creek's re-grand opening is Saturday. The store just got a remodel and is open for business again. First 100 shoppers get a free gift and $25 off purchases of $50 or more.
There'll be a couple of events at the mall this weekend, too:
- The mall's Zagat Lounge will have a live survey from now until June 26, where shoppers can rant or rave about Boise and Sun Valley restaurants.
- First-round draft pick, former Bronco and Chicago Bears player Shea McClellin will sign autographs (no charge) from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday at the Blue & Orange Store.
Submitted by Audrey Dutton on Wed, 06/20/2012 - 11:41am
You thought you'd heard the last from Five Wives Vodka v. Idaho liquor regulators? Nope. The attorney who vowed to get the state's decision overturned just wrote about it in USA Today, using Idaho as an example of socialism in action.
Submitted by Audrey Dutton on Tue, 06/19/2012 - 3:36pm, updated on Tue, 06/19/2012 - 3:37pm
We reported last week that Swedish clothing retailer H&M plans to open a shop at the Boise Towne Square mall.
The mall has filed for permits to do a renovation on the space that Borders used to occupy, to make it look more like an H&M. Here's what the mall entrance would look like after the makeover:
Submitted by Audrey Dutton on Mon, 06/18/2012 - 1:07pm
The second Goodwill store in Boise is slated to open in September at Northgate Shopping Center, near the corner of State and Glenwood streets.
If you've visited the Goodwill at West Overland and South Vinnell Way, that store is about half as large as the one in construction at Northgate, according to documents filed with the city. The Northgate store will be about 34,000 square feet.
The store is now taking donations from 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. every day, according to the Boise Northgate Goodwill Store's Facebook page.
Submitted by Audrey Dutton on Fri, 06/15/2012 - 6:40pm
The Boise Towne Square mall is on track to be maxed out on retail spaces by the end of this year.
City documents filed this week showed that H&M clothing store plans to move in to Boise, taking the prominent storefront that once belonged to Borders.
Submitted by Audrey Dutton on Fri, 06/15/2012 - 10:13am
The Downtown Boise Association says Bar Gernika, the Basque pub and restaurant at the corner of South Capitol Boulevard and Grove Street, is turning 21 on Thursday, June 21.
To celebrate, they'll have specials from 11 a.m. to close. Expect half-price draft beer, wine and kalimotxos (half-and-half red wine and cola). Croquetas will be priced for 1991, when they cost $1.50. They'll also be doing swag giveaways all day long.
Watch their Facebook page for updates.
As a personal note, I highly recommend Bar Gernika's chocolate pudding. It's bonkers good.
Submitted by Audrey Dutton on Thu, 06/14/2012 - 1:38pm, updated on Thu, 06/14/2012 - 2:10pm
The bowling and entertainment center Big Al's will open in early August at Eagle Road and Fairview Avenue in Meridian.
As we noted on IdahoStatesman.com yesterday, they're gearing up to hire almost 175 people for full- and part-time jobs.
The openings include:
- Servers, bartenders, food runners and hosts for the sports bar and grill
- Bowling lane servers and front desk attendants
- Events staff, such as birthday host or banquet server
- Arcade technicians and mechanics
- Kitchen staff, such as banquet cook, dishwasher and line cook
- Marketing coordinator
- Administrative assistant
- Office manager
Submitted by Audrey Dutton on Wed, 06/13/2012 - 11:54am
The wine shop and grab-n-go fusion restaurant we wrote about last month is now open at 2870 W. State St. in Boise.
Visit www.pacificwinestop.com for their menu of food, wine and beer.
"We have yet to determine ... our hours of operation, but for now we are planning on 11 a.m. to 7p.m. Monday through Saturday, and closed on Sunday," the owners said in an email.
You might remember the address as the former home of Amigos Mexican Restaurant. Pacific Rim's owners have been remodeling it. Curious what it looks like? Click here to see photos from Pacific Rim's Facebook page. (Amigos will reopen, though a date isn't set, according to a post on its Facebook page.)
Submitted by Audrey Dutton on Mon, 06/11/2012 - 1:34pm
This Thursday evening will be the last for Downtown Boise restaurant Twig's Cellar. The restaurant will be serving wine only at a farewell event from 4 to 10 p.m. Thursday at 816 W. Bannock St.
Why is Twig's Cellar closing? The economy.
"It's been tough," said owner Twig Munro. "It's just gone downhill steadily" since doors opened in 2009.
Munro's next step: "looking for a job." She has considered doing something to help support local Idaho wineries.
The post on Twig's Cellar's Facebook page:
Submitted by Audrey Dutton on Fri, 06/08/2012 - 5:13pm, updated on Mon, 06/11/2012 - 9:24am
If you're in Hyde Park this weekend, you'll notice something new at 13th and Brumback streets.
Farm and Garden Produce is open 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., every day through the end of October.
Here's a sample of what they're selling:
Bonnie and husband Stephen Harris opened the stand May 25. A few photos: