U.S. expected to lose millions of acres of forests to development in next 50 years

The U.S. is expected to lose 16 million to 34 million of acres of forest by 2060 to urban growth and development, the U.S. Forest Service predicts.

The expanding population, increased urbanization, and changing land-use patterns will cut into privately-owned forests and that will mean a loss of clean water, wildlife habitat, forest products and recreation. The Forest Service 10-year assessment found urban and developed land areas in the U.S. will increase 41 percent by 2060.

At the same time climate change could reduce water availability, making the US potentially more vulnerable to water shortages, especially in the Southwest and Great Plains. Forest fire acres-burned will double.

The largest forest decline is expected in the South, in part because most of the forests in the West are in federal hands. The federal government owns 63.8% of all the land in Idaho and manages nearly three-quarters of the Idaho forest.

The State of Idaho and other public agencies own 10% or 2.2 million acres; forest products companies own 5% or 1.1 million acres; and the remaining 10%, 2.2 million acres, is owned by ranchers, farmers, tribes and other private landowners.

The 20 million acres of national forest represents nearly 40% of Idaho's land mass, more than any other state.
Other trends in the report include:

• Timber prices are expected to remain relatively flat;

• Rangeland area is expected to continue its slow decline but rangeland productivity is expected to remain stable;

• Biodiversity will continue to erode because projected loss of forestland will impact the variety of forest species;

• Recreation use is expected to continue to rise.

1355846225 U.S. expected to lose millions of acres of forests to development in next 50 years Idaho Statesman Copyright 2014 Idaho Statesman . All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

If it were not

for press releases to copy and rewrite, Rocky Barker would not have a job.

Get out of the office and write an original story at least once a year Rocky, the fresh air and exercise might do you some good. As a reporter, you could be replaced by a doorstop at far less cost to this dying newspaper.

worse

He doesn't even do that well.
He usually mangles the press release and changes text or the meaning.

for evidence I present the original

ORIGINAL PRESS RELEASE
"...the study shows the potential for significant loss of privately-owned forests to development and fragmentation, which could substantially reduce benefits from forests that the public now enjoys including clean water, wildlife habitat, forest products and others."

ROCK's
The expanding population, increased urbanization, and changing land-use patterns will cut into privately-owned forests and that will mean a loss of clean water, wildlife habitat, forest products and recreation.

***
1) The study "shows the potential"- Rock's mind says it is absolute. It WILL happen.

2) The study says this effect COULD REDUCE the BENEFITS of forests. - Rocks says we WILL lose clean water.

***
Pay money for that? No thanks.

Rocky is

more of a two bit "creative writer" and plagiarist than a six bit polemicist. Funny thing is, the Statesman tries to pass him off as part of a stable of six bit "journalist" polemicists. At six bits a copy the Statesman is a rather expensive bird cage liner.

Did you subscribe to say this? Is your admonishment MOOT?

----------

Apple users, run the Gig of RAM your PC needs to have and read the dumb tech white papers, wrinkle your forehead and buy more food and toilet paper with the difference. The internet is a piece of junk anyway and your cats know this.

Okay, you win. Rocky just posted your vindication a while ago.

----------

Apple users, run the Gig of RAM your PC needs to have and read the dumb tech white papers, wrinkle your forehead and buy more food and toilet paper with the difference. The internet is a piece of junk anyway and your cats know this.

Idaho Forest Land

63 % Fed + 10 % State of Idaho + 10% private landowners + 5% lumber companies = 88%. Who owns the remaining 12%?

misread

DDT, the 63% is "federal owns 63% of ALL Idaho land". It is followed by "three-quarters" of the forest land.

So for forest land it is:
75% federal
10% state
10% private
5% lumber companies.
___
100%

Considering lumber companies are effectively "private landowners", not sure why the two are separated. Lots of individual people sell their timber.

I know, it's tough to understand stuff written by The Rock.

The coming Ice Age will make mixed drinks anathema.

----------

Apple users, run the Gig of RAM your PC needs to have and read the dumb tech white papers, wrinkle your forehead and buy more food and toilet paper with the difference. The internet is a piece of junk anyway and your cats know this.