By Chadd Cripe
© 2012 Idaho Statesman
HATTIESBURG, Miss. — The Boise State football team collected five more turnovers Saturday at Roberts Stadium to trigger a 40-14 rout of Southern Miss.
The Broncos led 23-0 at halftime on TD drives of 11, 35 and 44 yards. They scored on a 27-yard drive early in the third quarter, then put together a 10-play, 69-yard scoring march that put away the win.
Quarterback Joe Southwick was 18-of-27 for 195 yards and three touchdowns with an interception and a sack. Kirby Moore, Matt Miller and Chris Potter each made touchdown catches.
Tailback D.J. Harper led the ground game with 47 yards and two touchdowns. Jay Ajayi added 40 yards.
Southern Miss outgained Boise State 424-310 but the Broncos only committed one turnover.
Boise State improved to 4-1. Southern Miss fell to 0-5.
Boise State wide receiver Mitch Burroughs left the game with an injury. He had a brace on his right wrist after the game but coach Chris Petersen didn’t provide any information on his status. Third-string quarterback Jimmy Laughrea didn’t make the trip. Petersen said that was for medical reasons but did not elaborate.
BSU — Matt Miller 11 pass from Joe Southwick (Michael Frisina kick), 6:08. Key play: True freshman linebacker Tyler Gray picked off Ricky Lloyd and returned the ball to the Southern Miss 11-yard line. Drive: 1 play, 11 yards, :05. Boise State 7, Southern Miss 0
BSU — D.J. Harper 11 run (Frisina kick), 14:06. Key play: Defensive end Kharyee Marshall forced a fumble and end Tyler Horn recovered at the Southern Miss 35-yard line. The Eagles got a third-down stop but a face-mask penalty gave the Broncos a first down. Drive: 4 plays, 35 yards, 1:37. Boise State 14, Southern Miss 0
BSU — Frisina 21 field goal, 9:51. Key play: Redshirt freshman tailback Jay Ajayi carried twice for 10 and 12 yards. Drive: 8 plays, 41 yards, 2:56. Boise State 17, Southern Miss 0
BSU — Chris Potter 33 pass from Southwick (Frisina kick blocked), :06. Key play: Defensive end Sam Ukwuachu stripped quarterback Ricky Lloyd and recovered the fumble. Drive: 2 plays, 44 yards, :16. Boise State 23, Southern Miss 0
• Boise State wide receiver Mitch Burroughs is on the sideline in street clothes and a cast on his right arm. He appeared to injure his wrist on a first-quarter pass in the end zone.
BSU — Harper 19 run (Frisina kick), 12:49. Key play: Tracy Lampley muffed the Broncos’ punt right into the hands of cornerback Josh Borgman. Drive: 2 plays, 27 yards, :35. Boise State 30, Southern Miss 0
USM — Anthony Alford 4 run (Corey Acosta kick), 4:10. Key play: Francisco Llanos made a 7-yard catch on fourth-and-3 but lost the ball as he went to the ground. The officials ruled the pass incomplete but it was called a catch on video review. Drive: 13 plays, 75 yards, 6:20. Boise State 30, Southern Miss 7
BSU — Kirby Moore 27 pass from Southwick (Frisina kick), 13:23. Key play: Southwick tossed a screen pass to Miller on third-and-9 for a 9-yard gain to get the initial first down of the drive. Drive: 10 plays, 69 yards, 5:34. Boise State 37, Southern Miss 7
USM — Desmond Johnson 2 run (Acosta kick), 9:24. Key play: Alford threw a strike to Justin Sims for 44 yards on fourth-and-6. Drive: 10 plays, 76 yards, 3:52. Boise State 37, Southern Miss 14
BSU — Frisina 30 field goal, 2:41. Key play: Chris Potter’s XX-yard punt return gave the Broncos excellent field position. Drive: 6 plays, 10 yards, 3:36. Boise State 40, Southern Miss 14
• QB Jimmy Laughrea did not make the trip. The Broncos brought three quarterbacks: Joe Southwick, Grant Hedrick and Nick Patti. Quarterback coach Jonathan Smith said Laughrea was the No. 3 quarterback this week.
• QB Grant Hedrick, who has been banged up early in the season, is expected to play against Southern Miss.
• TE Hayden Plinke did not make the trip because of an injury sustained this week in practice. Redshirt freshman Jake Hardee made the trip. Junior TE Gabe Linehan is also out for the game (hamstring).
• RB Drew Wright did not make the trip. Wright was injured in the Broncos' victory against BYU.
• WR Geraldo Boldewijn (NCAA suspension) is on the trip and in uniform.
* Boise State is wearing all-white uniforms — white pants, white jerseys and white Pro Combat helmets (with the number on the side). It is the same combination (without the helmet numbers) that the Broncos wore against Georgia in last year's season opener.
• Former Boise State defensive end Tyrone Crawford, a rookie with the Dallas Cowboys, attended the game.
— By Brian Murphy, Idaho Statesman
Become a fan of the Statesman on Facebook.