Statesman reporter Dana Oland, photographer Katherine Jones and I got a preview of the Nordstrom Rack in Boise Tuesday afternoon. (Check out our photo gallery of the tour.)
The store is catering to Boise: lots of active wear, denim and hundreds of pieces of men's and women's Bronco wear. They'll even have Bronco kids' flip-flops. But it also holds true to the overall Nordstrom Rack strategy — clothes, shoes, accessories and other products that are specially created for the Rack or brought in from a Nordstrom store or Nordstrom.com.
Employees — here, Sam Conway in the juniors department — were putting finishing touches on the store Tuesday afternoon.
The store is giving away bags to the first 1,000 shoppers Thursday. (Pictured with Jill Sprinkle, who works in customer service.)
We'll have more details at IdahoStatesman.com and in the daily newspaper this week. But for now, a few quick numbers on what you'll find:
- Tens of thousands of shoes
- More than 2,000 men's ties
- More than 1,000 handbags
- 50 full-time employees
- 70 total employees, all from the Treasure Valley
- 30 percent to 70 percent off Nordstrom prices
- 37,000 square feet of shopping space
- 19 traditional cash registers
- 20 mobile registers (employees in green t-shirts who can do checkouts on the floor)
I'll be updating this blog Thursday with news and photos from opening day.